Become a Certified Zero Waste Business
U.S. Zero WasteBusiness Council Training
In partnership with Sierra College CACT
March 17, 2014 — 9:30 am to 5 pm
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
1075 E 20th St., Chico, CA
This 6-hour course plus tour of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company Zero Waste Program will provide students with an overview of the USZWBC Zero Waste Business Scorecard certification system. The course will outline the definition of Zero Waste, give corporate examples of Zero Waste policies and programs, and provide a detailed explanation of the Scorecard, including sample case studies that demonstrate how to achieve credits. All students will also be provided the USZWBC Zero Waste Business Handbook.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Understand USZWBC history and the significance of the Zero Waste Scorecard certification system
- Understand the key components and history of the definition of Zero Waste
- Understand the minimum requirements for a business to obtain USZWBC Zero Waste Certification
- Understand how to gather and track baseline information
- Identify the categories and Scorecard point rating system used to certify Zero Waste businesses
- Be familiar with the application completion and review process
- Have a basic understanding of the credits needed from each of the 15 certification rating categories
Who Should Take This Course & Prerequisites
- This course is for those who work in or with businesses that plan on implementing a Zero Waste Business plan and/or applying for USZWBC Zero Waste Certification. It is also required for those seeking to obtain the USZWBC Zero Waste Business Associate (ZWBA) Certification and/or Zero Waste Business Accredited Professional (ZWBAP) Certification.
Course Test and CEUs
There is no test required for completion of this course, however, those individuals pursuing ZWBA Certification will be required to pass a comprehensive exam on the USZWBC Zero Waste Business Handbook, and the information and case studies provided in this course. This course is eligible for 0.6 College Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from Pennsylvania State University, Altoona. Registrants who plan to apply for ZWBA Certification will automatically receive CEUs for this course. If you do not wish to apply for ZWBA Certification but are interested in receiving the CEUs now, you may purchase them for an additional $35 at the time of registration.
- Sue Beets-Atkinson is the Corporate Sustainability Manager for SBM Site Services, LLC and is Presidentof the U.S. Zero Waste Business Council. She has directly overseen more than 212 million pounds of material recycled and has successfully designed and implemented many Fortune 500 companies’ recycling programs, including a manufacturer that achieved 91.2% diversion nationally.
- Cheri Chastain is the Sustainability Coordinator for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. in Chico, CA. She is responsible for Sierra Nevada’s GHG inventory; monitoring energy use, conservation, and generation; managing waste avoidance, recycling, and composting efforts; researching and implementing alternative fuel options; and works toward water conservation and reuse.
- Gary Liss is President of Gary Liss & Associates, has helped more communities develop Zero Waste plans than anyone else in the U.S. and is Vice-President of the US Zero Waste Business Council. He helped develop the USZWBC Certification Program and participated in the USZWBC first audit of Sierra Nevada Brewery.
To view the program and register, please visit www.uszwbc.org. Early Bird discounted registration available until February 15, 2014.